Step One – Send RTR All Transcripts
- Send unofficial transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait to apply to RTR until you know which track you qualify for because you will want to target your application responses to that specific track area as well as register for the appropriate testing. Testing requirements are track driven. RTR will assist you with identifying the appropriate tests.
Step Two – Apply to RTR
- Apply to the Richmond Teacher Residency program by the program deadline for priority consideration for a spot at our selection days.
- Give your application thought and care; write it in reference to the track you are applying for.
- Complete the Haberman Star Teacher Inventory through your application. Note that your test scores will not be available contrary to the message at the end of the test.
- Register and/or secure score reports for all required tests for your track. Pay attention to the last day to test.
- Follow-up with your references. All recommendations must be submitted before the date of the onsite selection process.
Step Three – The VCU Graduate School Application
- Apply to the VCU Graduate School
- You are applying for admission for Summer 2018.
- Your RTR application will serve as the basic rubric of your VCU Graduate School Application.
- Be sure to save your login information.
- For SE Track Candidates: Apply for the Master of Education (M. Ed.) degree in Special Education – General, in the School of Education.
- For the Middle School STEM Track Candidates and Secondary Track Math Candidates ONLY: Apply for the Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree in Curriculum and Instruction.
- For Secondary Track Candidates: Apply for the Master of Teaching (M.T.) degree in the School of Education specifying your particular content area (math, biology, etc.).
- For LSEE Track Candidates: Apply for the Master of Teaching (M.T.) degree in the School of Education specifying LSEE.
- For References: List your reference providers and check “No” to the question: “Will this provider be submitting the letter of recommendation online?” Checking no will ensure that your references are not sent an automated request to provide a letter of reference for you since you already have these on file with RTR.
- Upload an unofficial transcript of all college work and request that official transcripts be sent directly to VCU Graduate School. RTR can operate with an unofficial copy as long as VCU receives your official copies.
- For SE and LSEE Track Candidates: Request that your GRE or MAT scores be sent directly to the VCU Graduate School (the institutional code is 5570) and forward an unofficial score report to RTR at email@example.com. As long as VCU receives the official score report, RTR can receive an unofficial copy.
- For Middle School STEM and Secondary Track Candidates: Request that your Praxis Subject (formerly Praxis II) Score Report be sent to VCU School of Education and forward an unofficial score report to RTR at firstname.lastname@example.org. As long as VCU receives the official score report, RTR can receive an unofficial copy.
Step Four – The Scholarship Application (optional)
- Apply for a VCU School of Education (SOE) Scholarship by January 30, 2018 (must have applied to VCU Graduate School).
Step Five -Last Day to Test is March 30th
- Continue to register/and or submit score reports. March 30th is the last day to test for Spring Selection.
- RTR needs official score reports for the SAT/ACT only as long as official copies of all other score reports are sent to VCU School of Education. This includes the Praxis Core/Math, the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA), GRE or MAT, and the Praxis Subject Tests (formerly Praxis II).
Step Six – The Selection Days
- All top candidates will be invited to a two-day selection event held at VCU
- Your on-site interview will include these elements:
- Teaching a 5-minute prepared mini-lesson to a class of Richmond Public School (RPS) students
- Providing a writing sample
- Participation in a group discussion
- Completing a personal interview
- Mingling with the leadership of RPS, Richmond School Board, VCU faculty, RTR Leadership and our current Cohort.
Final Step — The Invitation to become an RTR Resident
- Sign the Service Agreement before a Notary and return to RTR
- Request that a final college transcript (if graduating in May 2018) be sent to both VCU Graduate School
- Start the program May 2018